Monday, July 18, 2016

Liz's Baptism

This week has been really good! Lots of blessings as always. Liz's baptism went really great! It was a bit of a crazy day beforehand, but you should have seen how happy she looked afterwards. It was also really cool because Hermana Lund (the sister here before me) and also Hermana Hubert (one of Liz' other missionaries) was able to come down for it. The baptism went pretty much perfectly. Everyone was super surprised to see Sister Lund and Sister Hubert, but it made it even more special, plus they did a beautiful musical number with Sister Passey. Then Liz was baptized, and when she got out she told us that she felt like a completely different person. She was just glowing after. The next day we went over to see her, and she told us how that morning she didn't want to shower, because she already felt so clean from her baptism haha. She's a really sweet lady, and I've really learned to love her. It's so amazing to me because her family has a lot of trials and is always struggling with something, but she was brave and took the steps she needed even if it means sacrifice and having a lot of faith. I remember meeting her a few months ago, and she was so terrified to pray in front of us, and now she is the shining example in her family. She just teaches me that no matter how hard it may seem, Inconvenient, or even how alone we may feel as we chose the harder right God will bless us and strengthen us to do all that is required of us. It reminds me of the scripture in Mosiah 2:41
"And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it."
I've seen this in my life and I know Liz is now seeing it in hers!
Another miracle that happens this week is we were able to start teaching Liz’s 2nd youngest son. It was funny because they had taught him before, but he became uninterested so we haven't focus d much on him, but when we went to their house of Friday we pulled up and like always her son Danny was right there to greet us. He then asked us what we wanted and we told him that we came to help him get ready to be baptized and he got super excited and said that he was hoping we'd come to teach him, so we set a baptism date right then and there! So we are working with him to get baptized the first week of March. The only problem is sometimes he is interested and sometimes he isn't (like any 14 year old boy) so we have to catch him on his good days. It may take a bit of work but I think he should be baptized by the end of the transfer or beginning of next.
Anyways this week we also started teaching a man named Juan Pedro Limon. He just got married to this really awesome member in our Ward and they are super sweet. Apparently he's gone to church with her a few times, but I didn't meet him until Friday. Anyways it was super funny because after the lesson he was talking us how he has a brother and a nephew who are members and how the nephew was on a mission in Chicago and then all of a sudden I remembered that there is a family in El Rio (my first area) with the last name Limon and who had a son serving in Chicago so I asked him if it was him and he said yes! Super small world! I told him about how we used to have dinner with them every Saturday and it was funny because he seemed a lot more comfortable talking to us after that.
Anyways this week I was reading about prophets and I came across a scripture in Mosish 15 that I really like 
"11 Behold I say unto you, that whosoever has heard the words of the prophets, yea, all the holy prophets who have prophesied concerning the coming of the Lord--I say unto you, that all those who have hearkened unto their words, and believed that the Lord would redeem his people, and have looked forward to that day for a remission of their sins, I say unto you, that these are his seed, or they are the heirs of the kingdom of God.
12 For these are they whose sins he has borne; these are they for whom he has died, to redeem them from their transgressions. And now, are they not his seed?"
I like this one because sometimes I think it's easy for us to forget that we really need to pay attention to and follow the counsel the prophets and apostles give, but it's really important because they are speaking the words of God. I love this scripture because it reminds me that as we heed the prophets counsel and follow them then we will be worthy of the Atonement and those who choose to apply it in their lives are those who the Savior died for. 

I love you lots! 
Love,
Hermana Burgoyne





No comments:

Post a Comment