Monday, January 11, 2016

I love my mission!

Hi! Transfers were good! My new companion is Hermana Townley, she is pretty great. She trained Hermana Child who came out with me so I already knew her pretty well! We get a long really well which is awesome. We have a lot of the same ideas of missionary work, and she's pretty easy to work with. We have a really great area! I love it because pretty much everyone here is Hispanic, which is such a blessing considering my last area was so hard to find people to teach. We found 4 new investigators this week and have so many potentials that it's hard to keep track of them all. My Spanish is going to improve a lot! I just feel so blessed!  Also it may just be best if you sent packages to the mission office, at least while I am in this area. I will get them pretty easily because our zone leaders live in the area of the mission office, so they can bring them to me every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Our apartment complex is a little sketchy, so I don't really know if it would be best to send them there. But any letters are good! Thank you so much for everything! You really didn't have to get me that much, honestly I keep forgetting that it's my birthday this week because of how busy we are. Thanks for everything though! You do so much for me and I am so grateful for that!

This week has been a lot of fun! Its crazy busy here, so at times it's even a struggle to get in all of our personal and companionship study. We have lots of great service opportunities too. Each Thursday, we get to go help out at the food bank. It's really awesome, because we get to meet so many people.  Plus it's a great reminder of how blessed I am to have so much. I also like it because we get free food too, and they get upset if we don't take anything. A few members from out ward work there too, so I got to know them a little. Then we also have service with Joe every Saturday. He is in charge of keeping the community clean. Anyways all of the Spanish missionaries serving in the west or south sides of Tucson go to that, so I have been going to that since I got to Tucson besides last transfer when I was on the east side. I gave him a book of Mormon this past week. One of the elders I serve around is from Nephi, Utah and Joe was asking where that name came from, and I said you clearly just need to read the Book of Mormon! So then he asked us to go get him one, and we showed him how Nephi is one of the first words in 1st Nephi 1. Then he had all the missionaries sign it, and told us he will actually read it this time. He has been taught before and has tons of them, but hopefully each time we give him one he gets more and more of it.

Tuesday was great because I got to meet our new investigator Ana. She is super sweet. She at first seemed pretty set in her ways, but as we've taught her she has had an increased desire to learn. Hopefully tomorrow we can set a baptism date with her and her husband Manuel!

Thursday was insane because we were able to bring a member out with us. Most of the members here are kind of older, so we ended up bringing out Hermana Quijada. She is super sweet and willing to come out with us which is awesome! Especially because we ended up having to knock a bunch around this neighborhood while trying to find a potential in the pooring rain. The best part is that Hermana Quijada has to use a cane. So there we are out in the middle of a monsoon knocking doors with this little old lady. She was totally all for it though!

Another blessing about this area is there is a lot more member trust here, so we already are getting a bunch of referrals. I think we got 3 or 4 just this week which is a miracle because usually it takes me a whole transfer before we just start getting referrals just given to us from members. I really love it here!


Sunday was really great too. After church we were planning on visiting some potentials and investigators, but our plans fell through because no one was home and the member we had been planning to take out with us couldn't until after 6. We ended up trying one of the less actives that we wanted to go see later that night. We had been planning on asking her for a referral because she didn't seem all too interested in returning to church, but we shared the restoration with her and she had such a strong testimony of it! She just really opened up to us and now we are helping her get back to church. I really felt like God sent us there right then for a reason. Then it ended up working out perfectly because we were able to visit Ana and Manuel with the member we had brought out with us.  We also had dinner with the Cardenas family last night. It's funny because Hermana Cardenas reminds we a lot of you mom. I think partially because she is a seminary teacher here, but also because she just is always looking for ways to help others, and she is so excited about helping people learn about the Gospel.

This week we had to teach gospel principles on the final judgment. The thing that I think stood out to me most is that we will be judged for our thoughts, words, and deed which is kinda scary because I feel like I make a lot of mistakes, but I think the beautiful thing about the atonement is that we can repent daily. God truly wants us to return to Him. All we have to do is continually strive to be better and luckily for us we can try again over and over. I am just so grateful for that amazing gift :).

I hope you all have an amazing week! Thanks again for everything! Also thanks for emailing me.

Con amor,
Hermana Burgoyne

No comments:

Post a Comment