Monday, November 30, 2015

Wishing for trailer parks and a new address

I like my new companion she's really nice .   Also she's a good missionary. The area is a little rough though. There are no trailer parks here, so that kind of stinks.  It is predominately white people, so the work here is a bit slow :P. Hopefully we can get some stuff going. It's just a little hard going from a really productive area that we've been working so hard to finally get going to an area where I basically have to start over! I am sure it will be good though.  On the bright side, we are in a ward and share it with 4 other sets of missionaries because they just combined our branch with the branch that was in the middle of Tucson so now it's the El Dorado ward :). We are the first Spanish ward in Tucson! Well at least recently.  We have 10 missionaries to one ward which is a lot, but probably next transfer 2 sets will be taken out, so I may only be here for a transfer, but we will see! I really love the ward a lot though and the missionaries I serve around are all super awesome.  I was already good friends with all of them before, so it's fun!
Thanksgiving was insane. The El Rio sisters had 3 dinners to go to, then one of the recent converts here wanted Hermana Anderson to be here for her dinner also, so they tried to fit in 4 dinners.  It didn't happen though. Instead, I went with Hermana Flake to have dinner with the Gonzales family in El Rio while Hermana Dominguez and Hermana Anderson ate with Nery. I was happy about it though because I was really missing El Rio, so it was good to go back and visit 2 days after I got transferred out haha.

About the people I was teaching in El Rio, I think Juana is still on track to be baptized on the 18th of December which is super exciting, and I should be able to go to that! Then I'm not exactly sure about anyone else. Diana Cruz is still going to church which is good and in a few more Sundays she should be fully reactivated! We are going to start working with her sister who lives in my new area who is less active too, so that will be fun! I will check up on all the other people we were teaching when I see Hermana Flake in a few hours!

We have a few investigators here, although most of them aren't progressing which is rough. One of our investigators is from Africa, her name is Marie, she's super sweet and told us that she is going to read the whole Book of Mormon by the next time we come back.  She just wants us to give her a few weeks. So hopefully she does! We do have one investigator who we just started teaching this week. They had met her the week before, but we went to go teach her last Friday and we tried to share the restoration with her, but the whole entire time it just did not feel right to me or Hermana Dominguez, and I was really struggling with my Spanish. The only time it felt right was when Hermana Dominguez started talking about the importance of families and the plan of salvation in the middle. The lady we were teaching seemed sorta uncomfortable. But we finished the lesson and invited her to read Moroni 10. We realized afterwards that we should have taught the plan of salvation because we both felt prompted to, but we didn't want to confuse her.  We ended up going back apologizing, and giving her a plan of salvation pamphlet. We have another appointment with her tomorrow! Luckily although we make dumb mistakes God is still watching out for us and making sure that his children are taken care of although His servants are imperfect! Just knowing how much the spirit really guides us strengthens my testimony so much though! I don't know what I'd do without it!

Other than that, we are working on finding and getting members involved with less active work! Today I was thinking a lot about less active work during my studies while I was reading Luke 15 which is about the parable of the sheep, coin, and the the prodigal son.  I thought about how each parable represents a different reason people fall away from the church. But I love how President Hinckley taught that what recent converts and less actives need is a friend, a calling, and to be nourished by the word of God. This week we are going to work on inviting members to help us fellowship and reactive specific less actives in our ward, so that hopefully we can get them more involved. I am super excited!  Hopefully with lots of faith we will have a lot of success this transfer!

I really missed spending thanksgiving with you all! I really wish I could have been there! Oh well! It's ok at least I am only missing one Christmas at home! But I am really grateful to be here serving people.  It's hard at times, but God is guiding us so much and I've just learned to love so many people and have grown so much. I wouldn't replace it for anything!

My new address is : 1800 S Pantano Rd #2164, Tucson, AZ 85710. 
Anyways thanks for everything! I love you lots!
Love,

Hermana Burgoyne

No comments:

Post a Comment