Monday, September 5, 2016

There must be opposition in all things


This week we had some really cool experiences and a few not so awesome ones, but it's ok! I've been reading in Doctrine and Covenants every day, and I was reading D&C 122:7-9

7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

9 Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

 

I just love this scriptures because every time something bad happens I think about that, and it reminds me that every trial in this life is for our good and to help us to grow. 

Anyways this past Saturday was one of those days where we had a super awesome day planned and nothing really worked out. One of our recent converts decided she doesn't want to listen to us anymore which was heart breaking. Then another member kind of got after us for being too bold with her daughter in law and inviting her to be baptized. Then later that night we invited another one of our investigators to be baptized, and he said no. Anyways we were both a little discouraged, but I think it hit sister Delgado the most since she's not used to that yet. As we were driving that scripture popped into my mind, and I was reminded of how much God loves us and although not everything was going the way we hoped we have to trust that God lets us go through bad days so we can appreciate the good ones even more. So we decided to look at the good parts of the day and realized we had a really awesome restoration lesson with the one of our new investigators named Janae. She is a 17 year old girl who was referred to us by one of the young women in the ward. It was funny because the girl who referred her to us just kept telling us how she wasn't sure why, but she just kept getting this feeling that her friend was ready for the gospel. Anyways when we visited with her Saturday we could just feel that! We are super excited to start visiting her and hope to be able to set a baptism date with her tomorrow!

 

Anyways back to earlier in the week... Wednesday we finally had a lesson with a lady named Monica that Sister Delgado had contacted her very first day here while in line at the store. It was an awesome lesson! We taught the restoration and she had so many questions about prophets! She even asked us if we have a modern day prophet. We told her yes and were share a little bit about the family proclamation with her. She loved it! The spirit was really strong especially as Sister Delgado testified to her that God sent us to her for a reason, and that she was ready to hear and accept our message. She even agreed to be baptized once she found out for herself that it's true. We are super excited about her!

 

Then Friday we had zone conference, and it was super awesome! I was so happy to see all my friends. I mean I love our area down here and sometimes it's nice not being around everyone, but I'm starting to miss Tucson a bit! Anyways Sister Delgado and I were asked to join with the Spanish zone to do a musical number. It was super cool. Pretty much every one in the zone was there and then us two. We sang El Espiritu de Dios (the Spirit of God) and the spirit was so strong. Afterwards President Passey got up and started talking, and he got all choked up about it and talked to us about the importance of church and how it helps those we teach feel the spirit. Then he talked to us about how someday we will all be parents and either be watching our children being blessed by our husbands (or for the elders blessing their children). Then how eventually we will watch them be sustained to receive the priesthood or to move up in young women's and basically how we just watch life cycles in the chapel. I'm not super good at explaining it, but it was super cool. It just kind of hit me how true it is that our purpose as missionaries is to help others be together with their families for eternity and how at the same time we are learning and preparing ourselves to have our own families.

 

We also got trained on a lot of stuff we've learned throughout my mission, but that we still weren't so clear on. It was super helpful! Overall that whole day was awesome. The only part that was sort of bad was when one of the elders that I'm friends with asked me how much longer I had left and told me I was getting old and going home soon haha I think I still have a while though. Oh we also stopped by my favorite Raspados place in Los Reales because they don't know how to make them down here, which I think is funny because we're on the border.

 

Anyways that's pretty much what happened his week! I hope that you are all doing well! Thanks for everything you do for me! I love you lots!

Love,

Hermana Burgoyne



No comments:

Post a Comment