Monday, August 17, 2015

Cow's brain and blessings!

So cool experience this week! For one, we had companion exchanges for the first time this week. Our sister training leader went with Hermana Budge to our area, and I went with her companion and Hermana Budge's old comp to their area. That was cool!

Beforehand, we had a district meeting and had gone back to our apartment to eat lunch. I was trying to figure out what we could do with the 45 minutes we had between lunch and the exchange.  I just had a feeling we needed to go visit Karlena one of the inactives in our branch.  I decided that was silly, because we wanted to go when her daughters were home from school.  We wanted to talk to her 9 year old daughter about if she got permission to be baptized from her dad who isn't a member. I just kind of brushed it off, but then 5 minutes later Hermana Budge is like do you want to go visit Karlena.  Of course I said, yeah! I just was thinking about her.

We drove over and right when we were walking up to their door, Karlena and all 3 of her daughters were getting home from school!  They invited us in and we met their grandma who is staying with them right now.  We taught them about the restoration. It was a little wild because all 3 little girls are under 10, but the important thing is that the one who is 9 got what she needed out of it and actually knew quite a lot considering they are an less active family. It was really cool to see how God guided us there at such the right time. 

Afterwards, we got to do exchanges. They were super fun! We got to go knocking for a bit and give out some cards. Then we went and tried visiting a less active family that apparently hadn't let the sisters in for a long time. For some reason, they just let us right in today and we got to teach them. We also got the contact information for the girl who is in young women's so that they can meet up with her again next week.  I am seeing the blessings that come from having faith that God will guide us to where we need to go and help us find those we need to find.

Another blessing from this week came in an unexpected way. Last Sunday, the wife of one of our recent converts came to church because her son had just gotten baptized.  For some reason I just could not stop thinking about teaching her, but I didn't know much about her or how to go about it. Then Tuesday night, we were way down south visiting with another recent convert and we thought we had a meeting at 8.  Rather than staying down there to visit all the other people we wanted to, we drove up for our meeting only to find out that it was cancelled. I was a little mad because the elders were supposed to tell us earlier and hadn't.   However, while we were there we ran into that recent convert, and he asked us if we had a lot of investigators and we told him we were really struggling with finding people to teach. Then he said I have someone you could teach, and he told us about his wife and how she was really inactive and had been for a while, but that she had started coming to church. He asked us if we could come in teach her! So although I was upset with the elders, it ended up being a blessing and now we are going to try and teach her!

On Thursday night we went to dinner at a family’s house.  They wouldn't tell me what kind of tacos we were eating, and so I just ate it. Turns out it was cow brain.  It actually tasted pretty good haha.

We have also been blessed because some lady last Sunday ran in during Relief Society and told everyone that the missionaries are starving. All of a sudden all of the members are telling us to just come over if we don't have meals! On Saturday 3 different families invited us over for dinner! We had already planned to eat with one of them though, so we went there.
It was a family in our branch who is in love with Hermana Budge. They have a son who is on a mission right now in the Dominican Republic.  He gets back next month, and they kept asking Hermana Budge how much longer she'll be in the area, and when she goes home.  They fed us salmon, asparagus, ravioli, bread, fruit, and lots of other great stuff! I ate a lot! When we left, they gave us 2 huge paper grocery bags full of food from Costco, plus some sandwich's, breakfast food, and a bag of kettle corn the size of my pillow! They also bought Hermana Budge a skirt and are getting me one today, because they didn't know what size to get me.  The lady thought they were super cute so she wanted to get them for us!

This week all of the missionaries in our branch are going over there again for dinner! She's going to teach me how to make tortillas and tamales.  They had been asking me about how much Mexican food I have had before my mission, and I told them a lot because my mom loves Mexican food.  They asked me if I have had chile rellenos, and I told him I had. The husband is like wow you really have been exposed haha.  They're a really great family, and they speak English!

It is like 113 degrees here so it's a little bit hot, but we are surviving! We go to the temple every 4 months, so we go next month! I am super excited! Also, we see our president every month or so.  I had an interview with him about 2 weeks ago.  It looks like me and Hermana Budge are going to start working on personal progress with all of the young women! Yay!  I hope you are all doing well! I love you!
Love,

Hermana Burgoyne

No comments:

Post a Comment